Director, Video Engineering
London, Camden Town
We’re Viacom International Media Networks UK & Ireland, home to 20 TV channels that offer the very best in music, entertainment, comedy and kids programming through our MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Channel 5 and BET brands. Together these brands reach nearly 30 million homes in the UK and Ireland. Viacom brands are seen globally in more than 705 million households in 169 territories and 37 languages via more than 184 locally programmed and operated TV channels and more than 550 digital media and mobile TV properties.
The Media Engineering department is responsible for researching, designing and delivering technology solutions for Video- and File-Based workflows. The Video Engineering division is responsible for solutions that receive, process, publish, package, transport, transmit, monitor and control delivery of video assets among key internal and external Viacom customers.
The Director, Video Engineering is responsible for the Management and oversight of a cross-discipinary broadcast engineering team specializing in solutions for media publishing, playout, streaming, monitoring and control for global distribution. Specifically, the Director will:
- Manage a team of design engineers implementing critical capital projects to meet the needs of Operations and technical support teams.
- Lead teams that perform full project lifecycle management of hardware and cross-disciplinary projects, from customer discovery through systems design, build, commissioning and acceptance testing.
- Own the Service Catalog items that represent the Video Engineering product portfolio, influencing the roadmap and development timelines.
- Implement best engineering practices and change management procedures.
- Manage relationships with in-house resources as well as third party contractors and systems integrators who perform physical installations in broadcast origination technical centers and traditional IT data centers.
- Align with VP Engineering on key business and technical requirements, standards, and methodologies.
- Embody and exemplify the key values of Communication, Ownership, Accountability, Transparency, Customer Service, and develops these values within the team
- Transform Viacom strategies into plans and goals for the Engineering team for the mid-term (18 to 24 months.)
- Mobilize and facilitate team goal-setting. Establish specific plans, projects and objectives needed to accomplish these goals and ensuring their attainment.
- Proactively mentor and train direct reports to continually improve services and support to Viacom internal customers.
- Participate in budget planning, and is accountable for managing to established budgets, including reallocating funding as priorities shift.
- Be responsible for all performance-related activities of direct reports, including preparing and delivering performance reviews and any disciplinary recommendations.
- Partner with and integrates across other areas of Viacom Media Technology Services, working with key internal business customers, resolving conflicts and managing competing priorities, to provide a complete solution.
- Work in conjunction with the Vice President, Media Engineering to implement and achieve objectives for their team, seeking guidance to ensure alignment with global strategies and organizational objectives.
- Proactively develop the talent in their area, co-constructing performance goals, objectives and development plans; and providing ongoing constructive performance feedback.
- Delegate work and monitor work quality for particularly complex or sensitive tasks.
- Ensure that projects are on time, on budget and meet the needs of the business.
- Develop accurate and thorough budget forecasts at the project and departmental levels.
- Establish plan that prioritize initiatives, based on an understanding of the needs of the business.
- Integrate resources effectively, including resources under direct control, or by way of contractors and vendors.
- Creatively develop and sets tactical direction for the engineering team.
- Thoughtfully resolve client issues, including competing demands, sensitive situations, and conflicts with other groups.
- Continually improve work procedures and processes for area managed.
- Demonstrate broad experience in the design, build, and commissioning of technical systems including linear broadcast playout, live streaming, content ingest, storage, transformation, IP networks including multicast and WAN video distribution, with the ability to identify and leverage technical experts in different specialized fields.
- Demonstrate knowledge in baseband HD/SD video, MPEG-2 Transport Streams, H.264 / H.265 video/audio encoding, in-band and out-of-band metadata payloads, OTT streaming architectures and technologies, CDN workflows, and advanced IP networking including multicast and video contribution/distribution.
- Demonstrate familiarity with Agile project management techniques, serving as Product Owner to manage an Agile team to tight timelines
- Demonstrate familiarity with industry developments in key areas of technology standardization, and can articulate benefits/risks of various technology solutions.
- Exercise judgment and influence on key technical decisions (for example, standards and policies, environment selection, technical solutions).
- Possess solid understanding of the business customers including their business objectives, functional processes and organizational dynamics.
- Maintain awareness of the competitive landscape within the Media industry.
- Maintain an awareness of best practices in the technology industry and implements forward-looking best of breed solutions.
- Reflect knowledge of the business of Viacom, including the key work processes and success factors of different units and functions.
- Possess strong, clear communication skills, particularly regarding technical solutions, and effectively engage Viacom management, internal business customers and external vendors/partners alike at both the technical and business level
Our values, and their related behaviours, guide how we show up to work each day and help ensure that we all treat each other with respect. We want these to feel relevant to all of our employees and all parts of the business, as we believe that when these behaviours are achieved, we are the best we can be. The three values are intertwined and work together to drive the business outcomes we seek, and once combined we believe these will power our company forward.
- Creativity: Push beyond the expected
- Passion: Stand up for what you believe in
- Risk-Taking: Take smart choices
- Inclusion: Embrace diverse perspectives
- Collaboration: Work together as one team
- Innovation: Use insights to drive the business
- Trust: Assume best intentions
- Transparency: Communicate clearly and openly
- Accountability: Deliver, and own the outcome
At Viacom, we value and celebrate difference. We want to ensure that we fully represent the make-up of UK society in our workforce as well as bringing diverse perspectives to our business. We want to make sure Diversity and Inclusion are not just buzz words; we truly want to foster an authentic inclusive environment, where all employees feel that they can bring their whole selves to work.
Our recruitment Privacy Notice for Viacom entities in the EEA and Switzerland is available here.